GIS Certificate Program - Courses
This program consists of 4 core courses, a minimum of 1 elective and an independent capstone project. You will need to complete a minimum of 16 credits while in the program. You may transfer in 4 credits of required coursework taken previously (approval needed if taken at another institution)..
The 2-credit capstone project tailored to individual backgrounds and interests. We welcome work-related projects by students who are presently employed. The capstone project can be taken any semester but should be taken in conjunction with or after taking G578 (Applications of GIS).
Please note: Students entering in the spring semester in even years (2014, 2016) may need three semesters to complete coursework since the Geog 578 is not offered in the fall of even years and requires Geog 377 as a prerequisite.
No certificate courses are offered in the summer.
Core courses (15 credits):
Click links for syllabus or course webpage
- Geog 370: Introduction to Cartography, 4 cr. Every semester
- Geog 377: Introduction to GIS, 4 cr. Every semester
- Geog 560: Adv. Quantitative Methods, 3 cr. Spring only
- Geog 578: GIS Applications, 4 cr. (G377 in pre-req) Every spring plus every other fall (odd years)
Electives (At least one of the following):
- Geog 371: Intro to Remote Sensing, 3 cr. Fall only
- Geog 378: Intro to Geocomputing (programming), 4 cr. Fall only
- Geog 572: Graphic Design in Cartography 4 cr.(G370 is pre-req) next offering Fall '15
- Geog 575: Interactive Cartography & Geovisualization, 4 cr. (G370 is pre-req) next offering Spring '16
- Geog 576: Web Spatial Database Development. 3 cr. (G378 is pre-req) next offering Spring '17
Internship/Capstone Project(2 credits):
- Geog 602: Capstone project, 2 cr.
Any GIS faculty member can serve as your capstone project advisor.
GIS Certificate Program Manager
376 Science Hall
550 N. Park Street
Madison, WI 53706