How to Apply
Applying is Easy! 1, 2, 3… You’re Done!
Step 1: Review Our Prerequisites
- You must have a four-year Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Your major or discipline does not matter.
- You may not be enrolled in other UW-Madison graduate coursework or programs concurrently with our program.
- You may not receive tuition remission from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. No TA-, RA-, or PA-ships from the University of Wisconsin are allowed.
- Minimum background in GIS is two undergraduate level courses in introductory GIS and/or cartography and one course in quantitative methods/statistics. Of course, equivalent work experience will also be considered. Please contact Ian Muehlenhaus if you have any questions.
- If you are a non-native English speaker, you must take the TOEFL exam and submit your scores during the application process. Minimum acceptable TOEFL scores by the UW Graduate School are 92 for internet based test (IBT) and 580 for paper test.
If you meet the above requirements, you’re ready to proceed to Step 2!
NO GRE SCORES REQUIRED.
Step 2: Collect & Assemble 5 Things
- Your resume
Include relevant work experience, education, professional training in GIS, cartography, or programming skills, and other pertinent information. International students: please provide the breakdown of your TOEFL score so we can determine your reading and writing scores separately from the overall score.
- Unofficial transcripts
From any previously completed undergraduate and graduate degrees. Unofficial (e.g., scanned, downloaded) transcripts are fine at this point. Only after you’re accepted into the program will the Grad School require official copies. (Note: official copies will only needed from your final, degree-granting institution.)
- Contact information for two professional or academic references
You need the following info for each contact: Name, Mailing Address, Email, and Phone. Your contact will automatically be sent an email from the Grad School website when you complete your application.
- Download our Statement of Interest template and answer four simple questions
Statement of Interest Template Downloads: Word Doc || PDF Form
- Application fee
Please have a Visa/Mastercard Credit or Debit Card ready to pay the $75 application fee. International students are assessed an additional small fee, so the cost is closer to $85USD.
Be sure to convert all of your documents to PDFs before you proceed to Step 3. The UW Graduate School only accepts PDF documents. Click here to view a video showing how to save a Word file as a PDF.
Step 3: Complete Online Application & Submit
This part is really straightforward. If you’ve prepared everything above, the application itself will only take about 10 minutes! CLICK HERE TO GET STARTED.
Please make sure you select the following program: Cartography & Geographic Information Systems MS – GIS Development. (There are two Cartography & Geographic Information Systems MS Programs. GIS Development is the Professional Master’s.)
If you have questions about graduate school at UW-Madison broadly, the Grad School FAQ page is easy to read and full of useful information.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact Ian Muehlenhaus.
That’s it. You’re done. We look forward to getting back to you shortly.
We know how hard it can be to wait. If you:
- Have any questions about what happens next in the application process,
- Start getting the jitters about whether or not this program is right for you, or
- Just want to keep in touch while you wait
Don’t hesitate to contact Ian Muehlenhaus.
Your personalized education starts now!