Finishing Your Doctorate
The Graduate School has a very useful checklist, including deadlines and details.
The Graduate School also has instructions about formatting and finishing your dissertation.
A few notes about these pages:
- Don't forget to enroll in the semester (fall, spring or summer) in which you intend to complete your degree!
- Don't forget to request your warrant at least 3 weeks before your defense. Work with the Graduate Director to make this request.
- When "department style requirements" are referred to, consult with your advisor or use the AAG format
- You are required to deposit your thesis in the Memorial Library as well as the Geography Library. The Geography Library will require a printed copy as well as an electronic file of your thesis. The electronic version will be available online. You have an option to decide the mode of dissemination – public or local. Public is available to anyone online, local is available only to people in the Geography Department.
- The Graduate Director will not submit your signed warrant to the Graduate School until the Geography Library signs the Geography Library Deposit Certificate.
Exit Interview – All graduating students are expected to have an exit interview with the Graduate Director. The purpose of the interview is for us to get some feedback from you on the effectiveness of our graduate program.
Thesis Defense – You should plan ahead for the defense to give committee members ample time to read your dissertation. You must check with the Graduate Student Coordinator three weeks before your scheduled defense to be sure that you have all of the official paperwork done (such as requesting the warrant for the defense and obtaining the dissertation defense form). See the back of the degree plan form for details.