ISV Leadership Opportunities Overseas for Grad Students
Travel overseas for free during summer 2015 and co-lead a group of students on an ISV Volunteer Project
To all interested Graduate Students,
International Student Volunteers (ISV) is looking for graduate students to serve as University Leaders for a minimum of two weeks on ISV’s 2015 May to September Volunteer Programs in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and South Africa (expenses covered and a small stipend provided, see below for details). Spaces are limited, so please contact us as soon as possible.
The ISV Program
ISV’s Ultimate 4-Week Program consists of two weeks of volunteering overseas on a hands-on conservation or community development project followed by an incredible two-week educational exploration of the best cultural and natural highlights of the host country, and as many outdoor adventure activities as we can pack in.
ISV is seeking graduate students to co-lead a group of 12 or more students alongside a trained ISV Project Leader for the volunteer projects. Our projects focus on experiential education and making a positive impact to underserved communities, degraded habitats and endangered species by working closely with local organizations and community leaders within the host countries. Project activities include:
· Building homes, playgrounds, clinics, community centers, schools
· Teaching basic English, math, health and hygiene, sports and recreation to children
· Educational programs incorporating music, dance theatre, arts and crafts
· Assisting with terrestrial and marine ecology research programs
· Providing care for threatened wildlife (wild and rescued animals)
· Habitat restoration, trail building, erosion control, organic farming
· Design and delivery of environmental education, recycling and sustainable tourism programs
· Special focus projects such as pre-med/health care and pre-veterinary
Please see the ISV webpage (http://www.isvolunteers.org) for detailed information about the ISV organization, programs, destination countries, and more. To read about a University Leader’s recent experience in Costa Rica click here.
“Thank you for the opportunity to participate in such a worthwhile project delivered by ISV. I was delighted to be involved with the Youth Development through Sport and Recreation Project in South Africa. It was a truly rewarding experience professionally and personally for the students and I.” Georgina Power, School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Deakin University, Australia, ISV University Leader in South Africa
“Life-changing, educational, eye opening, more fun than I have had in my entire life.” Lauran Lynne Spinney, Kent State University, ISV Volunteer in South Africa
“It was unbelievable. I would definitely recommend this program to any type of person.” Paul Fritsch, University of Alberta, ISV Volunteer in Costa Rica
Who we are
International Student Volunteers, Inc is an award-winning non-profit organization based in the USA that sends thousands of students annually from more than 800 universities and colleges worldwide to travel with a purpose and make a significant difference to sustainable development on a global scale. ISV’s Global Accomplishments and Recognitions include:
· More than 30,000 student participants on the ISV program across six continents since 2002.
· ISV student teams have contributed nearly 2.5 million hours of volunteer service for community-driven initiatives in Education, Sustainable Development and Conservation around the world.
· ISV has partnered with over 100 volunteer organizations (government, academic institutions, private and grassroots organizations/NGOs) globally.
· University course and internship credit awarded to thousands of ISV students by more than 300 universities worldwide.
· Awarded one of the “Top Ten Volunteer Organizations” by the US Center for Citizen Diplomacy in conjunction with the US State Department.
· Inaugural award for “Outstanding Volunteer Project” by the World Youth and Student Travel Confederation.
· Featured on In View with Larry King on the Discovery Channel.
· 30+ members of the U.S. Senate/Congress serve on ISV’s Board of Reference.
· Certified by the US President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation to distribute the President’s Volunteer Service Award.
· Overall ISV experience rated 4.8/5 from 30,000+ participants.
“ISV was such an incredible, eye-opening and life- changing experience. I will not look at my life in the same way. I would not change the experience for anything. I now cherish my life and the world in another way.” Emily Raskind, Sonoma State University, ISV Volunteer in Dominican Republic
University Leader Expenses Covered by ISV
· Return international flights and domestic travel within the host country provided.
· Accommodations and three meals per day provided on the Volunteer Project.
· A modest stipend provided to help cover travel insurance and related expenses.
For more information or to register your interest in this opportunity please reply to me, Deanna Mathewson, to firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you!
Deanna Mathewson, M.Sc.
International Education Director
International Student Volunteers, Inc.
4848 Lakeview Avenue Suite 100A
Yorba Linda, California 92886
Office: (714) 779-7392 / Fax: (714) 777-4647
Expires On: 2014-08-31