Lecturer - Geography; York St. John University
To contribute to high quality teaching, research, academic management and leadership within the University. To maintain and develop teaching and research/professional practice activities that enhance the discipline and support an excellent student experience
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Develop and engage in high quality teaching, learning and assessment at undergraduate and postgraduate level; begin to develop external recognition at national level (e.g. external examining, external body representation).
2. Contribute to the development of the subject discipline within the School/University through engagement in regular curriculum review activity that incorporates current knowledge and practice.
3. Develop a teaching portfolio that reflects best practice and is regularly reviewed and refined through self-reflection, peer-support, student feedback, professional development and scholarly activity.
4. Engage in research and/or professional practice that contributes to the University’s growing research culture and research direction, including the production of peer-reviewed publications, presenting at conferences, authoring books (and other forms of output appropriate to the discipline) with the potential for submission to the REF.
5. Develop the capability to supervise postgraduate research students and participate in professional development activities that further enhance research and supervisory skills.
6. Develop a record of preparing and collaborating on funding bids to external bodies, (e.g. for research and project funding).
7. Participate in continuing professional development through internal and external networks and events in order to maintain and enhance professional standing in your field.
8. Contribute to the School and University community through internal and external engagement activities (e.g. School administration, open days, outreach, committee membership, peer support, knowledge exchange, public engagement).
9. Ensure compliance with the University and School quality assurance mechanisms
o Any other duties as may reasonably be required.
o Ensure that the highest standards of professional performance are maintained.
o Promote equal opportunities in the work of the School, to include a commitment to the International Strategy of the University.
o Ensure compliance with relevant legislation and statutory codes of practice, as advised.
o Participate in the arrangements for performance review and appraisal.
o Ensure that professional skills are regularly updated through participation in training and development activities.
o Ensure all University policies are implemented within the remit of this post.
- A good, relevant first degree
- PhD/Doctorate or be nearing completion
- Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (or willingness to undertake), or equivalent
Knowledge & Experience:
- Successful teaching experience at HE level or at equivalent levels of professional practice
- Sufficient breadth and depth of subject knowledge and of current disciplinary methodologies to contribute to current teaching and research programs and future developments
- Evidence of recent and relevant research / enterprise activity or professional practice including an emerging record of producing recognised outputs (publications, performances, presentations).
- Experience of meeting the needs of students from a range of cultural, class and ethnic backgrounds.
Skills & Attributes:
- Ability to teach the subject discipline with a high level of knowledge and expertise acquired through personal research and/or professional practice
- Ability to build internal and external contacts and participate in networks for the exchange of information and to form relationships for future collaboration and team working
- Ability to use a range of pedagogic techniques, including the use of technology, to enthuse and engage students with diverse learning styles
- Ability to teach postgraduate students and have experience of, or the potential to supervise postgraduate research students
- Ability to contribute to the research activity of the School and University through participation in independent and collaborative research projects
- Ability to generate income through external funding bids and collaborative activity
- Willingness to contribute to School and University community through a range of internal and external engagement activities (e.g. recruitment, open days)
- Understanding of equality issues relating to teaching and learning.
Apply online at: https://jobs.yorksj.ac.uk/vacancy.aspx?ref=054-17
Expires On: 2017-05-18