Building Capacity Advisor - Federation of Canadian Municipalities
The Advisor, Municipal Capacity Building, delivers programming to support the knowledge and capacity building objectives in the Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program (MCIP), designing and delivering a combination of broad awareness raising and facilitated peer-to-peer learning among small cohorts of municipal officials. The role focuses primarily on knowledge mobilization related to climate change impacts, adaptation and resilience with complementary supports on low carbon development and mitigation. The advisor uses innovative methods to develop, transfer, broker and mobilize program knowledge nationally with the municipal sector. The Advisor also assists with the integration and coordination of knowledge management, exchange and mobilization across other units of the FCM Programs department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supports the design and development of peer learning and broad reach programming related to low carbon development and adaptation/resilience to climate change.
- Leads design activities for the Climate and Asset Management Network (CAMN) French and English peer learning programs that aim to strengthen resilience to climate change impacts through improved asset management practices.
- Leads the development and delivery of knowledge tools, resources and activities that support municipalities in planning for and building municipal infrastructure that is resilient to a changing climate.
- Provides advice on the design and delivery of low carbon and mitigation programming including FCM's deep emission reduction pilot program (Transition 2050) and the Partners for Climate Protection to ensure sharing of knowledge and best practice.
- Develops knowledge mobilization and dissemination strategies for optimal impact and reach in the Canadian municipal sector.
- Designs and coordinates specialized capacity building training and workshops.
- Promotes and supports internal organizational collaboration on knowledge development, brokering and sharing activities.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of effective and innovative knowledge management tools and approaches.
- Develops program content for FCM events and recognition programs.
- Reviews and analyzes MCIP funded initiatives for the purpose of producing new knowledge (best practices) based on lessons learned.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Requires a Masters' Degree in environmental studies or engineering, planning, or related field with strong background in organizational learning, adult education, or equivalent.
- Five - eight (5 - 8) years' experience in a relevant role (e.g., urban planning, organizational learning, information/knowledge management, training/capacity building, working in an evidence and results-based environment) that requires facilitating information and knowledge exchange within or between organizations, conducting research and developing written materials.
- Knowledge of the structures, machinery and function of municipal government in Canada and the sector's interests related to sustainability, infrastructure planning and climate change, as well as an understanding of intergovernmental issues related to climate change.
- Some combination of experience working in or with municipal governments, particularly related to climate adaptation planning or implementation; knowledge of the Quebec municipal context or knowledge of infrastructure management and asset management practices.
- Experience using knowledge sharing tools and platforms (e.g., communities of practice, web-based/on-line).
- Experience designing and facilitating participatory forums, workshops and training sessions for knowledge development and sharing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including experience in delivering group presentations
- Strong political acumen associated with engaging elected representatives in federal, provincial / territorial and municipal governments along with associations on sensitive issues.
- Domestic travel 4-5 times per year will be required.
- The ability to work fluently (oral and writing) in both official languages (English and French) is required
Apply online at: http://www.fcm.ca/home/careers/advisor-capacity-building---municipalities-for-climate-innovation-program-(mcip).htm
Expires On: 2017-05-28