Graduate student (Ph.D.)
M.A., Southeast Asian Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2012
B.A., Geography, University of Washington, 2008
B.A., Comparative History of Ideas, University of Washington, 2008
Critical development studies (microfinance, land titling, hydropower dams), political ecology, science and technology studies, Cambodia, Southeast Asian Studies
My dissertation research analyzes the intersection of microfinance and land titling programs in rural Cambodia to better understand a) how new financial markets are shaped by the politics and technologies of emerging capitalist property systems, and b) how these programs transform people's land access and use.
My MA research in southern Laos examined the changing nature-society relations of people displaced by hydropower dam projects.
- Global Poverty and Inequality (IS 402), TA Spring 2016
- Introduction to Human Geography (Geog 101), TA Fall 2015
- Resources and People (Geog 139), TA Spring 2015
- Introduction to Human Geography (Geog 101), TA Fall 2014
Center for Southeast Asian Studies; Holtz Center - Science and Technology Studies
Green, W.N. and I. Baird. 2016. Capitalizing on Compensation: Hydropower Resettlement and the Commodification and Decommodification of Nature-Society Relations in Southern Laos, Annals of the Association of American Geographers 106 (4): 853-73.
Green, W.N. and I.G. Baird. 2015. Hydropower Compensation and Changing Nature-Society Relations in Laos. E-International Relations.
Green, W.N. 2015. Book Review, Santasombat, Yos. 2011. The River of Life: Changing Ecosystems of the Mekong Region. Chiang Mai: Mekong Press, 224 pp. Journal of Asian Studies 74 (2): 525-526.
Awards and Honors
- Fulbright U.S. Student Program, 2016 - Trewartha Research Grant, 2016 - Odebolt Travel Award, 2016 - Center for Khmer Studies PhD Fellowship, 2016 - MCAA Percy Buchanan Graduate Research Prize, 2015 - Genevieve Gorst Herfurth Award, 2015 - Holtz Center Summer Scholar Award, 2015 - Holtz Center Graduate Student Research Travel Grant, 2015 - Trewartha Travel Award, 2015 - Scott-Kloeck Jenson Pre-Dissertation Travel Grant, 2014 - Mellon Foundation Area and International Studies Research Fellowship, 2014 - NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program: Honorable Mention, 2013 & 2014 - Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, Thai, 2012 & 2013
Office Hours: Tuesdays 11 AM - 1 PM
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Geography
550 N. Park Street
Madison, WI 53706
Phone: (206) 495-7226