Ph.D. Geography, UW-Madison, expected May 2018
M.S. Computer Sciences, UW-Madison, December 2016
M.S. Cart/GIS, BNU, Beijing, China, July 2013
B.S. Cart/GIS, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China, July 2010
Geographic information science, volunteered geographic information, predictive mapping, geocomputing
A representativeness directed approach to spatial bias mitigation in VGI for predictive mapping.
1. Lecturer, Geography 579: GIS and Spatial Analysis [Online]. 2017 Summer Semester. Topics: digital terrain analysis, spatial autocorrelation, spatial interpolation, point pattern analysis. This is a course for the ONLINE Master's Program in GIS & Web Map Programming (GWMP).
2. Lecturer, Geography 576: Geospatial Web and Mobile Programming [Online]. 2017 Spring Semester. Topics: Java programming language, web and mobile application development for GIS. This is a course for the GWMP program.
4. Teaching Assistant, Geography 170: Our Digital Globe - An Overview of GIScience and its Technology [Online]. 2016 Summer Semester. Topics: GIS, GPS, remote sensing.
5. Lecturer, Geography 377: An Introduction to Geographic Information System. 2016 Spring Semester. Topics: spatial data representation, spatial database, spatial analysis, geovisualization, uncertainty. This is an in-classroom course with 78 students enrolled.
6. Teaching Assistant, Geography 578: GIS Applications. 2015 Spring and Fall Semester. Topics: GIS application to solve real-world geographic problems, problem conceptualization, technical implementation.
7. Teaching Assistant, Geography 377: An Introduction to Geographic Information System, 2014 Fall Semester. Topics: geo-referencing, digitalizing, geodatabase, spatial analysis.
9. Teaching Assistant, Geography 578: GIS Applications. 2013 Fall Semester. Topics: topics as above.
1. Zhang, G., A.X. Zhu, and Q. Huang. 2017. A GPU-accelerated adaptive kernel density estimation approach for efficient point pattern analysis on spatial big data. International Journal of Geographical Information Science 0(0): 0-30. doi: 10.1080/13658816.2017.1324975.
2. Zhang, G., Q. Huang, A.X. Zhu, and J. Keel. 2016. Enabling point pattern analysis on spatial big data using cloud computing: Optimizing and accelerating Ripley’s K function. International Journal of Geographical Information Science 30(11):2230–2252. doi: 10.1080/13658816.2016.1170836.
3. Zhu, A.X., G. Zhang (corresponding author), W. Wang, W. Xiao, Z.P. Huang, G.S. Dunzhu, G. Ren, C.Z. Qin, L. Yang, T. Pei, and S.T. Yang. 2015. A citizen data-based approach to predictive mapping of spatial variation of natural phenomena. International Journal of Geographical Information Science 29(10):1864–1886. doi: 10.1080/13658816.2015.1058387.
4. Jiang, J., A.X. Zhu, C.Z. Qin, T. Zhu, J. Liu, F. Du, J. Liu, G. Zhang, and Y. An. 2016. CyberSoLIM: A cyber platform for digital soil mapping. Geoderma 263(1):234–243. doi: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2015.04.018.
5. Guo, S., A.X. Zhu, L. Meng, J. Burt, F. Du, J. Liu, and G. Zhang. 2015. Unification of soil feedback patterns under different evaporation conditions to improve soil differentiation over flat area. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 49:126-137. doi: 10.1016/j.jag.2016.02.002.
6. Guo, S., L. Meng, A.X. Zhu, J. E. Burt, F. Du, J. Liu, and G. Zhang. 2015. Data-gap filling to understand the dynamic feedback pattern of soil. Remote Sensing 7:11801–11820. doi: 10.3390/rs70911801.
7. Zhang, G., A.X. Zhu, S. Yang, C.Z. Qin, W. Xiao, and S. K. Windels. 2013. Mapping wildlife habitat suitability using kernel density estimation. Acta Ecologica Sinica 33(23):7590–7600. doi: 10.5846/stxb201208221185.
Awards and Honors
1. Whitbeck Graduate Dissertator Award, Dept. of Geography, UW-Madison, 2017.
2. Trewartha Conference Travel Award, Dept. of Geography, UW-Madison, 2017
4. First-Class Undergraduates Scholarship, Beijing Normal University, 2007, 2008
1. Graduate student representative in the search committee of GIS/Physical faculty hire, 2017 Spring
2. Third Place, ESRI Chinese College Students GIS Software Development Contest, 2009, 2010
3. Excellent Olympics Volunteer Award, Beijing Summer Olympics, 2008
550 N. Park Street, Madison, WI53706