New Staff Profile: Janelle Greene

Title: Communications Specialist- GIS Professional Programs

Start Date: December 1st, 2023

Can you tell us more about your path to UW-Madison and your new role in GISPP? 

My career has been a long, weird winding road. I explained software updates as a technical writer; scripted content for educational toys; crafted flowery marketing prose about window blinds; invented and pitched new ride-on toys; and touted the successes of a local nonprofit in every corner of social media. But in the end, the connective tissue that binds all of my experiences together is sharing information and telling stories. Luckily for me, someone who can put together great stories is exactly what GISPP needs!  

What excites you most about being a Communications Specialist for the GIS Professional Programs? 

Immersing myself in a totally new and different world—the world of geospatial information and technology—is a delight. I’ve always loved learning new things and I’ve always been an amateur map enthusiast, so this is right up my alley. Plus, this position is a wonderful opportunity to bring together absolutely all of the skills I’ve gathered in the course of my career.  

Are there any new initiatives or details about your role you want to share? 

I’m just getting started! I’ll be managing the GISPP website as well as running the GISPP social media accounts. Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn are my focus areas for the coming year. I’ll also be looking for more opportunities to share our program at in-person events.  

What is something interesting you would like to share about the GIS Professional Programs? 

We have cool stuff coming up soon! I’m looking forward to our monthly speaker series, Map Chat, and the Geospatial Summit on April 10 (which we’re planning jointly). Of course, if you want to learn more about those, you should follow us on social media. Did I mention that we’re on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn?  

What are some things you are looking forward to doing in Madison/on campus? 

I’ve lived in the Madison area for over a decade but have spent very little time on campus—so I’m looking forward to getting to know all its ins and outs.  

Are there fun hobbies or other interests you have? 

I love to run—thankfully I’ve crossed “run a marathon” off my bucket list so I stick to 5ks and 10ks now. I also have a great time taking my kids on adventures, nature walks, and playground discovery expeditions. And yes, I will show you many, many pictures of my dog if you ask.  

Author: lwunderlich