Applying is Easy! 1, 2, 3… You’re Done!
For first consideration apply by April 1st for Fall and October 15th for Spring.
Final deadlines for complete applications are July 1st for Fall and December 15th for Spring.
International student final deadlines for complete applications are June 1st for Fall and November 15th for Spring.
Step 1: Review Our Prerequisites
You must have a four-year Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Your major or discipline does not matter.
You may not be enrolled in other UW-Madison graduate coursework or programs concurrently with our program.
You may not receive tuition remission from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. No TA-, RA-, or PA-ships from the University of Wisconsin are allowed.
Minimum course requirement – There are no minimum course requirements for this fundamentals program.
If you are a non-native English speaker, you must take the TOEFL exam and submit your scores during the application process. Minimum acceptable TOEFL scores by the UW Graduate School are 92 for internet based test (IBT) and 580 for paper test.
NOTE: There is NO GRE score requirement!
If you meet the above requirements, you’re ready to proceed to Step 2!
Step 2: Collect & Assemble 3 Things
- Unofficial transcripts
Collect your unofficial transcripts from any previously completed undergraduate and graduate degrees. Unofficial (e.g., scanned, downloaded) transcripts are fine at this point.
*Only after you’re accepted into the program will you be required to send official copies.
- Contact information for two professional or academic references
You need the following info for each contact: Name and Email. Your contact will automatically be sent an email from the Certificate Program Manager when you complete your application.
- Statement of Interest
Your statement of interest should be a one page essay. This should include your background education, your current career and aspirations for the future, and why you would like to pursue this degree. Tell us why you think you would be a good fit for our program, what you hope to learn from our curriculum, and what skills are you excited to graduate with.
- Application Fee
Just kidding! It’s free to apply to our Capstone Certificate Programs.
Step 3: Complete 2 Online Applications & Submit
This part is really straightforward. If you’ve prepared everything above, the applications should be a breeze!
- Fill out the Online University Specials Student Application.
- There is no application fee.
- Choose GIS FUNDAMENTALS CAPSTONE CERTIFICATE for your ‘Reason for Applying’
- Pick the semester you wish to start (Fall, Spring, or Summer).
- You do not need to fill out the academic plan box.
- Fill out this supplemental application form.
- Submit the names and email addresses of the two people who will write you letters of recommendation.
- Upload a letter of interest (one-page essay).
- Upload your unofficial transcripts.
- Note: Only after you’re accepted into the program will you be required to send official transcripts.
That’s it. You’re done!
We know how hard it can be to wait so please don’t hesitate to contact us if you:
– Have any questions about what happens next in the application process,
– Start getting the jitters about whether or not this program is right for you, or
– Just want to keep in touch while you wait
We look forward to getting back to you shortly!