Sand Sculpting and Guitar String Stroking: a Glimpse into the Mind of Student Ross Thorn

What are you studying?

rossthorn
Ross with augmented reality sandbox.

I am currently studying GIS/Cartography. I’m working on a project in which we are trying to figure out the best way to visualize large, multivariate, spatiotemporal datasets.

In what ways is Geography the best discipline for your work?

I chose to study Geography because it is a very broad and applicable field; most everything that one does on a daily basis involves using geographic information. I chose cartography because it is a blend of science and art, allowing for the use of spatial data to help solve problems while still letting one express him or herself individually.

What led you to UW-Madison?

As a Wisconsin native, I knew the reputation and quality of the University. I consider myself lucky to have an institution like this so close to home. Madison is definitely one of the best places in the world to study this field. The history of innovation here and the allure of the city itself is why I applied.

Why is it important to have geographers in the world?

Since about 80% of the world’s information has a spatial component, it’s imperative that there are people who understand the concepts and practices of the field. To have people who are trained in recognizing spatial patterns or any other spatial questions is beneficial to topics involving public, private, social, and ethical components.

What is one fun fact about yourself?

I am a musician who loves to sing and play acoustic guitar. I play bass in a band called Dirty Mike and the Copper Pennies. I’m a lover of stories on whatever platform they are told.

Author: Geography Staff