GIS Services at the Robinson Map Library
While many geospatial data requests arrive at the library via the GIS Data Request Form, we can also accommodate in-person appointments for more in-depth research questions for data needed in courses or projects. Use the robust UW-Madison Mapping and GIS Research Guide to get started!
We generally support:
- Basic understanding of geospatial data types and formats
- Where to find reliable sources of geospatial data
GIS Support and Training on the UW-Madison campus
The Map Library provides initial consultation for GIS projects and an introduction to software and tools. Additional requests for support or assistance in making maps or performing detailed analysis can be provided elsewhere on campus. Students seeking detailed assistance or in-depth project consultation are advised to consider formal training. Visit the Geospatial Alliance website for more information.
The Land Information and Computer Graphics Facility offers ArcGIS and other ESRI-Authorized training courses. They can also provide students with access to the ESRI Virtual Campus online training modules. Contact Math Heinzel for access to these online courses.
- UW Geography Department offers an introductory GIS course: G377: Introduction to GIS
- UW Geography Department offers an advanced GIS course: G578: GIS Applications
- UW Urban and Regional Planning Department offers the course: Applications of GIS in Planning
- UW Dept of Landscape Architecture/Nelson Institute offers the course: Applications of GIS in Natural Resources
Software in the Map Library: QGIS and ArcGIS 10.4
There are six public GIS workstations in the map library available for browsing geospatial data and/or using GIS software. ArcGIS software is also now installed in all eighteen general access computer labs (InfoLabs). QGIS is open source, and free!
UW-Madison faculty, staff & student ArcGIS license information is available from:
Land Information and Computer Graphics Facility
550 Babcock Drive, Rm B102
Madison, WI 53706
Phone: (608) 263-5534