Have a technical GIS question? Email the GIS Support List
Find out more about GIS services, resources, & events at UW-Madison
GIS Services at the Robinson Map Library
While many geospatial data requests arrive at the library via the GIS Data Request Form, we can also accommodate in-person appointments for more in-depth research questions for data needed in courses or projects. Use the robust UW-Madison Mapping and GIS Research Guide to get started!
We generally support:
- Basic understanding of geospatial data types and formats
- Where to find reliable sources of geospatial data
To make an appointment for geospatial data assistance, contact Jaime Martindale
GIS Support and Training on the UW-Madison campus
- UW Libraries Introduction to GIS Workshop – NOW ONLINE!
This introductory workshop provides students with the fundamentals and basic concepts of GIS. The 45 minute lecture gives an overview of the technology and offers examples of applications. Following the lecture/video, students can access materials to work through a hands-on exercise, with three software options available. The exercise provides training in the basic functionality of working with geospatial data using GIS software.
*ArcGIS Desktop and Pro are available remotely via UW-Madison DoIT’s Virtual lab Access
- The Map Library provides initial consultation for GIS projects and an introduction/overview to software and tools. Requests for assistance in making maps or performing detailed analysis can be provided elsewhere on campus, like the Data Science Hub. Students seeking detailed assistance or in-depth project consultation are advised to consider formal training. Visit the Geospatial Alliance website for more information.
- The Land Information and Computer Graphics Facility offers ArcGIS and other ESRI-Authorized training courses. They can also provide students with access to the ESRI Virtual Campus online training modules. Contact Math Heinzel for access to these online courses.
- Academic Courses:
UW Geography Department: G377: Introduction to GIS
UW Geography Department: G578: GIS Applications
UW Planning and Landscape Architecture (PLA): Applications of GIS in Planning
UW PLA/Nelson Institute: Applications of GIS in Natural Resources
Software in the Map Library: ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop | QGIS
There are six public GIS workstations in the map library available for browsing geospatial data and/or using GIS software. ArcGIS software is also now installed in all eighteen general access computer labs (InfoLabs).