Position title: Ph.D.
Advisor: Qunying Huang
WEBSITES & PROFILE
- Ph.D., Geography, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA (2021-current, expected 2024)
- M.S., Cartography & GIS, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA (2017-2019)
- B.S., Geography (GIS & Remote Sensing Emphasis), University of Cincinnati, USA (2015-2017, 2+2 undergraduate program)
- B.S., GIS & Remote Sensing, Sun Yat-sen University, China (2013-2015, 2+2 undergraduate program)
- Exchange Program, GIS & Land Surveying, Queensland University of Technology, Australia (2015 Fall)
- Geospatial Data Science
- GeoAI and GIScience
- Human Mobility
- Urban Informatics
- Social Segregation and Environmental Justice
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- 2022: DSFAS-AI: Developing an Integrated Deep Learning Modeling Framework for County-Level Crop Yield Prediction in support of USDA NASS Operation, National Institute of Food and Agriculture, 1/1/2022 – 6/1/2024
- Vision-Language Multimodal Learning for: (1) Image Geo-localization; and (2)Mixed Land Use Measurement and Mapping
- Evaluating the Economic Inequality Experienced by Different Racial-Ethnic and Economic Groups in US Largest Cities
- Estimating Experienced Racial-Ethnic Segregation Based on Social Media Data: A Case Study in Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim
- Measuring racial-ethnic and income segregation in the entertainment and recreational POIs in the US largest cities
- Citizen-sourced Social Sensing: A Case Study of Using A Cross-platform Mobile App for Rapid Disaster Response
- Geog 170 Our Digital Globe: An Overview of GIScience and its Technology, Spring 2021 (Online; 250 undergraduate students)
- Geog 576 Web Interactive Mapping & Geovisualization, Spring 2019 (Online; 50 graduate students)
- Geog 370 Intro to Cartography, Fall 2018 (In-person; 80 undergraduate students)
- Geog 578 GIS Applications, Spring 2018 (In-person; 50 graduate & undergraduate students)
- Geog 574 Geospatial Database Design and Development, Fall 2017 (In-person; 50 graduate & undergraduate students)
- Other responsibilities: developed quizzes, exams, and assignments; revised the syllabus to meet accreditation standards; coordinated grading and labs with a team of 2 or more teaching assistants
Papers in Preparation
- Huang Q., Wu M., 2023. Database Fundamentals. In Xia J., Huang Q., Tu W., and Gui Z., eds. Open GIS. Springer.
- Huang Q., Wu M., 2023. Relational Databases. In Xia J., Huang Q., Tu W., and Gui Z., eds. Open GIS. Springer.
- Huang Q., Wu M., 2023. NoSQL Databases. In Xia J., Huang Q., Tu W., and Gui Z., eds. Open GIS. Springer.
- Wu M., Huang Q., Gao, S., Huang X., 2023. Segregated pleasure: Measuring racial-ethnic and income segregation in the entertainment and recreational POIs in US largest cities.
- Wu M., Huang Q., 2023. Exploring the correlation between POI-based mixed land uses and social segregation in US largest cities.
- Wu M., Huang Q., 2023. Evaluating the economic inequality experienced by different racial-ethnic and economic groups in US largest cities.
- Wu M., Huang Q., 2023. Citizen-sourced Social Sensing: A Case Study of Using A Cross-platform Mobile App for Rapid Disaster Response.
- Qiu Y., Wu M., Huang Q., 2023. Measuring neighborhood wealthiness based on street view images.
- Wu M., Huang Q., 2023. Measuring Racial Disparity of Healthcare Access in Hybrid Physical–Virtual World During CoVID–19.
Papers Under Review
- Wu M., Huang Q., Gao S., Zhang Z., 2023. Vision-Language Multimodal Learning for Mixed Land Use Measurement and Mapping with Street View Images. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (Submitted)
- Wu M., Huang Q., 2023. Estimating experienced racial–ethnic segregation based on social media data: A case study in Los Angeles–Long Beach–Anaheim. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems. (Under revision)
- Wu M., Wong D., Huang Q., 2023. Segregation: what is in a name? A review of segregation measurement and a prospective framework. Annals of AAG. (Submitted)
Journal Publications and Papers
- Liu X., Wu M., Peng, B., Huang Q., 2022. Graph-based Representation Learning for Identifying Individual Travel Activities with Spatiotemporal Trajectories and POI Data. Scientific Reports. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-022-19441-9.
- Wu, M. & Huang, Q., 2022. Human movement patterns of different racial-ethnic and economic groups in U.S. top 50 populated cities: What can social media tell us about isolation? Annals of GIS, pp.1-23. DOI: 10.1080/19475683.2022.2026471.
Conference Publications and Papers
- Wu M., Huang Q., 2022. IM2City: Image Geo-localization via Multi-modal Learning. In The 5th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on AI for Geographic Knowledge Discovery (GeoAI ’22), November 1, 2022, Seattle, WA, USA. ACM, Seattle, WA, USA, 12 pages. DOI: 10.1145/3557918.3565868
- Liu X., Huang Q., Li Z., Wu M., 2017. The Impact of MTUP: Explore Online Trajectories for Human Mobility Studies. In Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Prediction of Human Mobility, ACM SIGSPATIAL 2017, Nov 7-10, Redondo Beach, CA, USA, pg.1-9.
- Yang Qiu, “Using Deep Learning to Evaluate Neighborhood Wealthiness Based on Street View Images”, May 2022
- Yuehan Qin, “Big Data Mining on Social Media Data (tweets) for Human Mobility Research using Unsupervised Classification Algorithm – Latent Dirichlet Allocation (LDA) Model”, May 2019
FELLOWSHIPS & WORK EXPERIENCE
Big Data Mining Engineer, Beijing Digital Union Network Technology Co., Ltd., Beijing, 08/2019 – 01/2021
- Designed a hybrid positioning system (GPS + Wi-Fi + base station) for a nationwide location-based service with stream data processing frameworks
- Predicted activity zones based on the trajectories of mobile devices
Data Scientist, NASA Ames Research Center, Mountain View, CA, 06/2018 – 08/2018
- 2018 NASA Ames Internship Symposium: Wu, M., Sorek-Hamer, M., Just, A., Nemani, R. Exploring Diurnal Variations in the Correlation between PM2.5 and Aerosol Optical Depth (Presentation link)
- Responsibility: Big data analysis and statistical modelling; Satellite image processing; Data visualization using geographic point clouds; UI design using R-Studio Shiny
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY SERVICES
- Session Chairs, AAG Annual Meeting, 2023
- Presentation Judge, Outstanding Student Presentation Awards (OSPA) program at American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting (AGU), 2022
- Session Chair & Manager, IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2021
- Manuscript Reviewer
- Scientific Reports, 2022
- International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 2021
- Transactions in GIS, 2021
- IEEE IGARSS Conference, 2020
- Student Lead of Graduates Social Committee, Department of Geography, UW-Madison, 2017-2019
- Graduate Representatives to Faculty/Staff Meetings, Department of Geography, UW-Madison, 2022-present
MEMBERSHIP & OUTREACH
- 2017 – Present: Member, American Association of Geographers
- 2021 – Present: Member, The International Association of Chinese Professionals in Geographic Information Sciences
- 2021 – Present: Member, University Consortium for Geographic Information Science
- 2022 – Present: Member, American Geophysical Union
- 2022 – Present: Member, Association for Computing Machinery
AWARDS & HONORS
- AAG Student Travel Grant – 2023 AAG Annual Meeting
- ACM SIGSPATIAL 2022 Travel Grant – ACM SIGSPATIAL 2022
- John Odland Award – 2022 AAG Annual Meeting, Second Place in the Spatial Analysis and Modeling (SAM) Student Paper Competition
- Best Participation Award – 2021 International Graduate Workshop on GeoInformatics
- Best Student Paper Competition winner – 2021 The International Association of Chinese Professionals in Geographic Information Sciences (CPGIS)
- Trewartha/Odebolt Award & Funding – 2021 UW-Madison Department of Geography
- Dean’s List for Excellent Graduate Students (Top 10%) – UW-Madison, 2017 – 2019
- High Degree Honors in Geography & STEM Research Awards – University of Cincinnati, 2017
- Undergraduate Global Scholarship – University of Cincinnati, 2016 ‐ 2017
- National Full-funded Exchange Scholarships – Queensland University of Technology, 2015
- National Scholarship for Excellent Students (Top 1%) – Ministry of Education of China, 2013 – 2014