Please consider supporting the History of Cartography Project.
By making a donation, you can have a direct impact on our work. Private gifts are an essential part of the Project’s funding. We are grateful to our supporters, and all are acknowledged in our published volumes (learn more about acknowledgment).
Your gifts can still help Volume Four, Cartography in the European Enlightenment (2019). Staff in the Madison office continue to:
- monitor and confirm the accuracy of production work for the volume, which has 479 entries and 954 figures, and
- coordinate scheduling with our publisher, the University of Chicago Press.
Volume Five, Cartography in the Nineteenth Century (2022), is well underway. We are using private donations to:
- check references for nearly 425 entries,
- coordinate 200 authors and seven editors,
- purchase 1,000 color images and publication rights,
- train students in bibliographic techniques, and
- complete the series (Volume Five is the last volume!).
Creation of the original line drawing shown above was made possible by gifts from friends like you, and it has improved the value of Volume Three as a reference resource. Donations do indeed make a difference. Thank you.
Gifts are tax deductible and may be matched by the National Endowment for the Humanities.